This one-of-a-kind competition recognizes the most outstanding, unproduced, Canadian plays with a Jewish focus.
The winning playwright will receive $1,000 (CDN) and an 8-hour CAEA workshop with a director and up to six actors. This workshop concludes with a public reading. Generously supported by the Asper Foundation.
The 2023 competition is co-presented by The Miles Nadal JCC (Toronto), The Winnipeg Jewish Theatre (Manitoba), The Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company (Ontario), and The Segal Centre for the Performing Arts (Quebec).
The Mnjcc welcomes submissions from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
• Playwrights do not need to be Jewish but must be Canadian (dual citizenship is acceptable).
• Play content must have a Jewish focus, depicting a prominent theme or aspect of Jewish life.
• Plays must be no less than one hour and no more than two hours in length.
• Novel, short story or poetry adaptations are accepted, but the playwright must have the rights to the original source, or the source of the adaptation must be in the public domain.
• Musicals are eligible. Please submit lyrics and/or musical tracks with your play.
• Plays must be in English.
Call for submissions is now open. Deadline September 5, 2023. Click here for eligibility and guidelines.
Generously supported by The Asper Foundation.
Partners The Winnipeg Jewish Theatre, The Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company, and The Segal Centre for the Performing Arts.